Kasina Review from Mike Veny at Transforming Stigma
The team at The MindPlace Company sent me a complimentary unit to review. I currently own, regularly use, and have thoroughly reviewed this product. Please do not spend your money unless you feel it’s something you need and will help you reach your goals.
The MindPlace Kasina Mind Media Meditation System is an mp3 player, with earbuds, and Ganzframes. You turn on the device, select the appropriate session, put in the earbuds, put on the Ganzframes, sit back and relax. There are a variety of sessions to choose from to promote relaxation, stimulation, meditation, or creativity.
The sound tracks use a variety of background sounds including nature sounds and ambient electronic music. Most of the tracks use binaural beats which have been proven to be effective in inducing the mind into a meditative state.
The word binaural means ‘having or relating to two ears’. This represents the process, which works by simultaneously sending a marginally different sound frequency to each ear through headphones.
Each sound track synchronizes with the Ganzframes to give you a colorful visual experience. A 2013 study conducted by Poonam Dhaka , V. L. Chouhan, and Dharm Singh, has shown that light stimulation combined with sound stimulation can alleviate depression in teenagers.
The MindPlace Kasina Mind Media Meditation System comes from The MindPlace Company (formally Synetic Systems). This company was a pioneer in developing microprocessor-controlled light and sound systems. They have been around since 1988, and their headquarters is on a small island in the Pacific Northwest.
Who It’s Good For
- The short answer is everybody. More specifically, anyone interested in:
- An altered state of consciousness.
- Deeper relaxation.
- A different type of meditation.
- Sharper focus.
- The long answer is anyone who is seeking additional treatment for mental health issues such as depression and anxiety.
Regarding my treatment, I don’t believe that it’s a replacement for professional counseling or psychiatric medication, but I do believe that it’s an excellent supplement. I discussed it with my psychiatrist, and I suggest discussing it with your doctor or mental health professional before trying it.
Is the MindPlace Kasina Mind Media Meditation System a SCAM?
I tend to be skeptical about alternative treatments. From the moment that I opened the box, I assumed that it would be a nonsense new age product that wouldn’t do a thing for me. To be as honest and thorough as possible, it was important that I had low expectations.
Fortunately, I was wrong. My unit turned out to be an excellent addition to the treatment of my depression and anxiety. I use my unit a few times a week and have seen some good (and quick) results.
In this part of my review of the MindPlace Kasina Mind Media Meditation System, I’ve decided to not only give you my list of pros of this product, but I’ve also included my review.
- It’s easy to use.
- There are a variety of tracks.
- There is data to back up the technology.
- The company has been around since 1988.
- Lots of good reviews online.
Here are my thoughts about this product. After using it for several months, here are my thoughts:
What I liked most was that it had an immediate effect on my mood.
Also, it’s passive. Unlike guided meditation or visualization audio tracks, there is no human voice giving you instructions to do anything. You just put the earbuds in, put on the glasses, lie down and close your eyes. That’s it!
There are a variety of tracks to listen to that address a range of issues:
- The Accelerate tracks help you with energy, peak performance, and focus.
- The Meditate tracks are for meditation and relaxation training.
- The Mind Art tracks are experimental, visualization, and some intended purely for conscious altering enjoyment.
- The Night Voyage tracks are good before bedtime and inducing lucid dreaming.
- The Rejuvenate tracks are good for sports recovery and after a long day at work.
- The Trance tracks facilitate hypnagogia, which is the transitional state between sleep and wakefulness.
I tried the Cheer Up track (Accelerate) when I was depressed and felt a dramatic difference in my mood after I finished. I tried the Before Learning (Accelerate) track towards the middle of a long workday and saw an improvement in my productivity. The best tracks for me have been the Night Voyage tracks. I’ve used them on nights where I was awake from insomnia, and they got me to go to sleep.
Last, but not least, the battery lasted much longer than I expected it to before needing to be recharged.
- The fact that it uses light and sound technology may not be suitable for people who are extra sensitive to light and sound. Again, this why it’s important to talk with your doctor or mental health professional before investing in it.
- The unit reminds me of an early iPod or mp3 player. It’s much BIGGER than I would like it to be.
- It’s bulky. It comes with a pouch, and I don’t feel an incentive to carry it around with me when I’m commuting through New York City or traveling. Also, I wish the glasses were Bluetooth activated, and I could listen to the track through my smart phone.
- The manual is written to academically. People who geek out on this stuff will dig it. Simpler language would make everything easier to understand.
- The mental health treatment benefits and research on this technology should be highlighted more in the information on the website, but can’t be for legal reasons.
Also, price might seem high for some people’s budgets. Fortunately, there are lower priced mind media meditation systems from The MindPlace Company. These include:
MindPlace Procyon AVS System Light and Sound Meditation Mind Machine – $249
- MindPlace Proteus USB Light & Sound Meditation Mind Machine – $159
- Mental Games for ThoughtStream (software) – $50
Although these issues can be a problem for some users, I don’t think they are serious issues and don’t diminish the overall advantage of the MindPlace Kasina Mind Media Meditation System.
There is a 60-day money back guarantee. 60 days is more than enough time to see results. It also comes with a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
In summary, this is a light and sound machine designed to promote relaxation, stimulation, meditation, or creativity. It’s a legit tool for anyone who is interested in those things. I have found it very useful for helping my depression, anxiety, and insomnia fairly quickly. It’s bulkier than the smart phones we are accustomed to carrying. Finally, it may seem a bit pricey, but it is backed by a 60-day money back guarantee.
I give it an 8 out of 10 rating.
As I’m finishing writing this review, I asked myself one question:
Since this product was given to me for FREE, would I purchase a new one if mine broke or got lost?
Knowing what I know about how effective this has been for my mental health, I would pay for another MindPlace Kasina Mind Media Meditation System without hesitation! It has come in really handy at moments where my mind needed it.