WHAT ARE BRAIN WAVES?
Your brain is made up of billions of brain cells called neurons, which use electricity to communicate with each other. The combination of millions of neurons sending signals at once produces an enormous amount of electrical activity in the brain. This combination of electrical activity of the brain is commonly called a brain wave pattern, because of its cyclic, "wave-like" nature.
Our brain’s ability to become flexible and transition through various brain wave patterns plays a large role in how successful we are at managing stress, focusing on tasks, and getting a good night’s sleep. Each brain wave pattern serves a purpose to help us cope with various situations – whether it is to help us process and learn new information or help us calm down after a long stressful day. The five brain waves in order of highest frequency to lowest are gamma, beta, alpha, theta, and delta.
Our Light & Sound Meditation Systems use completely natural forms of stimulation to gently lead you into a variety of beneficial states of mind. Utilizing light and sound pulses at a specified frequency, these machines stimulate the mental activity of the user, leading the user's mind from normal waking consciousness to a variety of desirable altered states of consciousness. Light & Sound technology, like the Kasina, makes it effortless to get into meditation, and stay there for as long as you like.
“I realized that ordinary consciousness was not just a given, but the product of something called brain waves, and that these brain waves could be altered at will…If you don't like what's going on in your head, then (you can) change it. It was a revelation” ~ Michael Hutchison, author of Megabrain
SESSIONS FOR THETA & ALPHA
Everyone of us can use Light & Sound Meditation Systems to achieve a variety of results. For the purpose of this article, let’s highlight the benefits of lowering your brain wave pattern into Alpha and Theta ranges.
Alpha Brainwave Frequencies: 7-13 Hz
• The alpha state is where meditation and relaxation begins.
• Awake but deeply relaxed.
• Studies have shown the alpha state has been associated with “peak performance.” Elite athletes produce alpha brainwaves prior to concentrated performance (shooting a free throw, hitting an important golf shot).
• In the alpha state we learn, process, memorize and recollect large sums of information fast and with peak effectiveness.
• Highly creative people have been shown to have “bursts” of alpha brainwaves when they have good ideas.
• In the alpha state fears, habits, and phobias begin to melt away.
• Alpha brainwaves bring an effortless sense of comfort, peace, and harmony.
• Best for “super learning”.
• The alpha state is the first layer of our subconscious mind.
• A gateway to deeper states of awareness.
Theta Brainwave Frequencies: 4-7 Hz
• Theta brainwaves become prominent when we go deeper into meditation and relaxation
• Here, brain activity decelerates to the threshold of the sleep stage.
• The theta state produces flashes of creative visualization through vivid imagery.
• In this state we feel much more open and connected to other people.
• People often report a feeling of floating while producing theta brainwaves.
• The theta state heightens problem-solving skills.
• Having dominant theta brainwaves are correlated with insight and intuition.
• Theta brainwaves bring inspired thought and increased motivation.
• Sometimes long-forgotten memories come to the surface.
• Children have strong theta brainwaves, which helps to explain their superior ability to learn.
• Theta is briefly experienced as we climb out of the depths of delta upon waking, or when falling asleep.
• The theta state is the deeper sub-conscious part of the mind
The sessions in the Meditate folder on the Kasina will guide you into Alpha and Theta brain wave patterns. This folder has Eight sessions to choose from. They are the perfect sessions when you are feeling the need to relax, meditate and unwind from a long day. Check out the sessions below.
- Everglade - A spring morning with gentle rain…time is suspended in this peaceful, calming session. Mostly low to mid range light frequencies to promote calm clarity.
- Forest and River - Another peaceful backdrop of nature, in another locale. Frequencies start at 14 Hz and end at 4 Hz for deeper relaxation into meditation.
- Meditate - Starting at a relaxed 10 Hz, Meditate reaches the target of 2 Hz after 15 minutes. A few minutes at 6 Hz on the way down provides a useful intermediate step on the path to a deeply meditative state.
- Relax - From an alert 13 Hz this session steps down to a calm 10 Hz. Left and right sides are stimulated at slightly different frequencies to help the mind let go of nuisance thoughts.
- Relax More - Similar to Relax but longer and with a target of 5hz, suited to deeper relaxation and contemplation.
- Relaxation with Windchimes - The peaceful sounds of wind-chimes on a peaceful summer afternoon. This session starts at 12 Hz and leaves you at a deep 2.5 Hz.
- Relaxation by Fire - Find quiet and solitude in a soundscape including alpha frequencies and the soothing sounds of a campfire.
- Touch of Silence - Peaceful sounds of Tibetan bowls and minimalist piano sets a calming ambience; lights start at 10 Hz and descend to 6.25 Hz.
Dreaming sleep, super learning, creativity, daydreaming, and deep meditation are all associated with Alpha and Theta brainwave patterns. Have you tried any of the Kasina sessions in the Meditate folder. How did it feel? What benefits have you noticed? Let us know in the comments.